Sep 30, 2008

Apple Tablet Speculation

I read recent articles 1, 2 suggesting that Apple wouldn't go to such great lengths to design such a cool touch-screen technology (used by the iPhone) without planning to do something very neat and very different with the technology... like an Apple Tablet.  So I looked it up and found many photos of supposed future tablets, but they're all very dissimilar.

There were 3 notable designs: one is basically a super-sized iPhone design:
This seems too small to be used as a computer but too big to be a phone.  The next one was a foldable laptop that looks more like a child's toy than anything:


And the third (and my favorite) looks like a screen-only prototype of the MacBook.  There were 2 compelling demonstrations of this version:  The first one is a video Popular Mechanics came up with (click here)  The video makes this look like a MacBook with a detachable keyboard, which (from the recent patents 1, 2, 3 Apple has filed) doesn't look like the direction Apple is going.  The other is the picture below:


Whatever way Apple decides to go (if any) it will probably be pretty impressive.  They have quite a bit of money from their last few investments ($1.07 billion net third quarter this year).  I guess I'll just have to wait like everyone else.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Don't tell anyone but I'm actually in on the plans for a new Apple tablet. Not even torture could reveal the secrets. I'll tell Steve Jobs hi for ya!!

October 08, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New MacBooks out tommorrow. I'm pretty sure I'm buying one first thing. But I don't think the tablet will come out for a while.

October 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home